Sunday, March 9, 2008

Tanking can be fun indeed

Yesterday I was asked to heal a quick Mechanar Heroic run, but as we waited for a tank to come online in our guild, I proposed to our group (and guild) leader that I could bring in my protection warrior (the guild has a no-alts-outside-the-guild policy, that warrior of mine is an exception to that rule, and as such in a weird situation). He agreed, brought his wife in as holy priest, I got my warrior, and we went to Cosmowrench. I reminded the group over Teamspeak that I rarely tank 5 men instances at the moment (due to the warriors guild basically not doing anything together at all anymore), and ask them to kindly push me into the direction they want me to.

And what can I say, no one died the whole run, all bosses down. I got told what mobs would be best to down first in any group and which should better be CC'ed, I marked accordingly, the group went down. I obviously had some trouble with the last mobs before Pathaleon the Calculator, as I heard a distinct "get that mob off me please" on Teamspeak from the priest, but even that went fine.

So, what do I want to say with this? I am not entirely sure, but it seems to me that any tank that has decent gear and understanding of his class and role can tank more or less anything except the really really hard stuff if the rest of the group is supportive, helps to fill knowledge gaps, and no blame is randomly assigned to some poor soul if something goes wrong. So far I hardly had these kind of runs at all, and Karazhan is much easier to tak in my opinion (at least as main tank, as off tank you get some bad groups if you do not have too much CC with you), so it was a really pleasant surprise, and now I also understand a friend better who has been in my paladins guild for ages now as a bear tank, and he never really seemed to grasp why I didn't like tanking regular instances. Well, it seems the other four people in the group can make all the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment